Saturday, June 4, 2016

Hellyer County Park

Trail rating - Easy
Trail length - Over 2.5 miles (includes part of the Coyote Creek Trail) within the park boundaries
Trail type - Loop and linear
Trail uses - Hiking, bicycles, strollers, and wheelchairs
Cumulative elevation change - Less than 6% at one part of the Coyote Creek Trail
Trail surface - Paved
Cellular Service Signal Strength - Good
Pets allowed - Yes

I really enjoyed visiting Hellyer County Park for it has a lot to offer for recreation.  A paved path circles Cottonwood Lake, giving you a generous view of geese ducks, and other aquatic birds. There are plenty of picnic tables and barbecue pits located throughout the park, a few spacious grassy areas, and a playground.  The shade isn't a problem as there is an ample amount of trees to
keep you cool during the summer months.  For those that enjoy a long hike, part of the Coyote Creek Trail runs along the western side of the park and it connects from the southern part of the park and up to the northern part.

One of the things that surprised me when I first visited the park was seeing the Hellyer County Park Velodrome.  I was fortunate to be there one day to watch several cyclists racing around the track.  Besides having Wednesday Night races there, they also offer beginner sessions.
Using a power wheelchair I couldn't help but picture myself racing around the track.

There are a few group picnic areas and are available by reservation. Parking areas are located in all the areas of the park and I saw plenty of accessible parking spots. The restrooms and picnic tables are also wheelchair accessible.


To see more of Hellyer County Park, please watch my video:

7 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful photos and video. Thank you so much for sharing.

Wheelchair Hiker said...

Thank you Linda! :)

Liz said...

Mark, your comments are helpful, and I like your "interesting" /"surprising" comments which make me want to visit. I walk, but have challenges with some surfaces and crowned or tilted trails, so the addition of the videos are helpful for me to be able to judge the walking conditions. I also want to mention how pretty the videos are, and your music choices complement them so well! I really appreciate this blog, and the acceessibility evaluations on the Santa Clara County Parks site, which led me to your blog. Hope to meet you outside some day.

Wheelchair Hiker said...

Liz, thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I'm out on the trails twice a week, so there's a good chance we might meet one day. If you have any questions on any other trails, please let me know.

Unknown said...

Wow!! you have shared beautiful pictures and video. Sometimes, I do wonder that how a person on wheelchair can enjoy the beauty of nature. Well, there is no shame in being disabled but we should not restrict ourselves to the premises of our home if we are disabled. Electric wheelchairs can be the best approach to move around easily without having someone's help. If someone is looking to buy one then I'd recommend to check this list of electric wheelchairs. I bet you will find the best one for your needs on this link.

littleadventuresteph said...

Appreciate the pictures and detailed information! Thank you for sharing! :)

Wheelchair Hiker said...

Thank you littleadventuresteph!